Looking for award-winning healthy recipes? Just yesterday I won 2nd place with this recipe during a chili cook-off at work. Since it is chilly weather right now I thought this would be a great recipe for those cool nights. This recipe is a modified recipe I found in The Biggest Loser: 6 Weeks to a Healthier You: Lose Weight and Get Healthy For Life! It is now my go-to chili recipe.
Note that this photo shows both diced tomatoes and Ro-Tel. You can use both or either one in your chili recipe. Here in South Florida, I don’t wait for the cool weather to make chili, because I would only have a short window to do so. Chili is one of my favorite things to make because it is easy and tasty!
Award Winning Chili Recipe
- 3 cup Chopped yellow onions
- 1 pound Turkey sausage I use Jennie-O Sweet
- 28 oz can of Diced tomatoes
- 15 oz can of Dark red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 15 oz can of Pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can Fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bbsp Chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp Chili powder I usually add a little more for good measure
- 1 tbsp Fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- Jalapenos if desired
- Coat frying pan with cooking spray.
- Cook onions over medium-high heat until soft or just starting to brown.
- Add ground turkey and/or sausage and cook until no longer pink.
- Transfer into a dutch oven or crock pot (I like to use the crock pot and let it cook for a while).
- Add tomatoes, kidney beans, pinto beans, broth, garlic, chili powder, oregano, cumin, and mustard powder.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.