Embrace the flavors of Thanksgiving with our festive penne recipe. It’s great as a Thanksgiving side or as the star of the show in a weekday dinner or lunch.
Brussels Sprouts, Dried Cranberries, Caramelized Onion & Sage Penne Recipe
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 4 cups/1 lb. sliced onion
- 2 Tbsp. sliced sage leaves
- ¼ cup/½ oz. dried cranberries (preferably no sugar added)
- 4 oz. penne
- 2 cups/9 oz. Brussels sprouts, halved
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add 1 TBSP of the oil and all of the onions. Sprinkle with salt.
- Slowly cook, stirring from time to time until golden (about 30 minutes). Stir in the sage leaves and cranberries.
- While the onions are caramelizing, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the penne according to package directions. Drain and reserve.
- Also while the onions are cooking, bring a small saucepan of salted water to a boil and cook the Brussels sprouts until just softened (about 5 minutes). Drain.
- Remove the onion mixture from the pan to a bowl. Heat the same pan over medium high heat. Add the remaining 1 TBSP oil and sauté the Brussels sprouts until browned (about 3 minutes). Stir in the penne and the onion mixture.
- Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.