We all have a rich and vivid selection of professions of all kinds. You can freely opt for the one your heart desires. Some folks prefer becoming a cruise ship chef. This is a sought-after specialization. You will cook for thousands of guests from different corners of the globe. So, you are supposed to be able to prepare meals from all the world’s kitchens. Of course, you need to rule others in the kitchen.
Many folks look for cruise ship chef jobs on Jooble. They are interested in this profession because it helps them test themselves, learn something, as well as save money for traveling the world. Meanwhile, they wonder how much they can earn if they opt for this profession.
If you are a beginner, your entry salary will be something around $2,000-$2,500 monthly. Experienced chefs can earn something between $4,000 and $6,000 monthly. Yet, your salary may be much higher! We will review all the odds that may impact your salary in our informative guide here below.
Understand That It Won’t Be Easy
The main task of any cruise chef is to control the process of preparing and serving different meals. However, chefs cook as well on definite occasions. Some folks believe that this job is very simple. Yet, you have a lot of things to control and many people to supervise. If anything goes wrong, it will be your fault in the first place.
You ought to keep an eye on various issues. These are:
- Cooking techniques
- Speed and quality of the personnel
- Food safety
- Kitchen management
- The variety of meals
Of course, you need to be sure that everything is tasty! You ought to elevate your skills regularly and be stress-resistant because many issues may take place almost every minute.
Factors That Impact Your Salary
Several factors impact the salary of a cruise ship chef. It goes beyond doubt that you must be properly trained, and have the necessary certifications, experience, and skills. You are expected to quickly adapt to various situations and remain creative. Simultaneously, we need to underline 2 significant factors. Make allowances for them right now:
- Location. All cruise liners go through definite routes in several oceans. Some routes are longer and others shorter. Some destination points are more popular and others are of less popularity. So, your salary will depend on these factors, for sure. It’s better to opt for the high-end destinations.
- Culinary Skills. Your employers will need high-quality culinary skills. All the skills must be of the highest quality and the menu must be diverse. Depending on the region, you will need to know its kitchen. Yet, cruise ships frequently support the combination of several world kitchens because people travel from all parts of the globe.
Another factor is your professional experience. We will discuss it here below.
Level of Experience
One more logical factor is your level of experience. You need to have many years behind your shoulders to count on really high salaries. The highest ones are somewhat between $80,000 and $100,000. Practice a lot and find various ways to increase your professional experience. Now, let’s check how your experience level can impact your salary:
So, the more experienced you are, the higher your salary will be. It’s fair and logical. Make sure you increase your experience to earn more.
Type of Cruise Ship
You should also understand the differences between cruise ships. They offer a great variety of opportunities for your skills, as well as odds for career growth. Besides, they are a good way to empower a new journey after hard times. When you know the difference, you can select the type that suits your career aims. Here are the main types:
- Mediterranean. This type of ship demands the chef and their team to know how to deal with fresh seafood that can be caught in the waters of the Mediterranean.
- Asian Fusion. This type is also clear as it focuses on the preparation of sushi rolls and similar delicacies. It is also focused only on one kitchen.
- Fine Dining. This one focuses on the most elegant and sophisticated meals. These can be filet mignon, lobster bisque, and so on.
Another factor you must take into account is your work schedule. Depending on the ship type and its route, it can vary a lot. The more working hours you have, the higher your salary will be. Yet, your workload may induce additional pressure. Be sure you can handle it. Finally, you need to consider the position and rank you will embrace. You may be only a mid-level, as well as embrace the most highly paid version – an executive chef.
Consider all the odds we have described. Thus, you will know for sure how much to earn and how to raise your salary with your skills and wits.