Knowing how to drive a car is a life skill. But it also gives you the advantage of traveling to unknown and well-loved spots worldwide. If you’ve got a serviceable vehicle and miles of good road, you and your companions can embark on a long albet pleasurable journey known as a road trip.
Doing it now would mean joining the trend of more Americans on the roads for vacations and family visits.
Like any other vacation, road trips are a fantastic way to make memories, but only if you take the time to plan carefully. For starters, you need to ensure your vehicle is in tip-top shape. You may even need to spruce up the interior with new neoprene car seat covers and some cushions to make the long car ride as comfortable as possible.
Here are a few hacks to help make that much-anticipated road trip a success.
1. Download a gas app: One of the most costly aspects of any road trip, especially in this economy, is gas. When you’re traveling in an unfamiliar area, it’s hard to know where to stop for the most frugal fill-up. To aid in your decision, you can download GasBuddy or Gas Guru, only two of the several gas pricing apps. These apps display the location and gas prices of gas stations near you. Most apps like these are free and update pretty regularly, so you won’t be deceived when you pull up at the pump.
2. Take side stops: Have you ever gone on a trip and passed signs for museums or monuments that you think would be awesome to see in person? Allot time in your travel to make a few stops on the way to your destination. It will not only keep you entertained throughout your trip, but it will also give you a chance to stretch your legs and learn something new.
3. Gassing up a rented or borrowed car: Chances are, if you’ve never driven a car, you probably don’t remember which side the gas tank is on. If you do forget, look at the gas gauge. There is an arrow that will point to whichever side of the car the gas tank is on. This will save you a tiny bit of time and hassle when you have to stop at the pump.
4. Stay awake while night driving: If you’re feeling sleepy, it’s probably best to switch drivers or check in to a hotel. But if you’re feeling only a little drowsy, try listening to comedians on your road trip. Odds are, the comedian will keep you laughing and their jokes will keep you engaged, chuckling, and most importantly, awake, all the way home.
5. Know North from South: If you’re old school and like following paper directions instead of having a little square computer yell at you to turn, you know that your passenger might end up telling you the wrong direction by mistake. Remember that interstates and highways with odd numbers run North to South, and interstates with even numbers run East to West. If you get mixed up, this will help you get back on track, or at least in the right direction, in a jiffy.
6. Cool down hot cars quickly: In the dead of summer, stopping for only five minutes for a quick bathroom break can leave your car unbearably hot. To cool down a hot car in seconds, roll down one window all the way and open and close the car door directly across from that window a few times. This will force hot air out of the car.
7. Know where to get directions: When asking for directions, some people gravitate towards gas stations. However, the best place to ask for directions is a restaurant with a delivery service. Stop in at Pizza Hut or Dominos to ask for directions. Odds are, they have a driver waiting for a delivery who can give you quick and easy directions to a destination in the area.
But before you go on a road trip with your family or friends, make sure that your vehicle is in tip-top shape. You do not want to encounter issues with your car along the way, as getting service may be difficult if you’re driving down long stretches of road. For a more enjoyable road trip, check your gears and see which components you can upgrade to road trip-worthy performance parts. These will ensure that you have a smooth ride. Thus, you can focus on having fun and worry less about potential car breakdowns.
With these seven road trip travel hacks, you’ll be ready to hit the road for the vacay of a lifetime.
For more tips on all things car related, visit, check out our , and download the that is revolutionizing the way motorists search and shop for automotive services.