If you are feeling tired for most of the week, you are not alone. In fact, this issue bothers more people than you might think. According to Statista, only twenty percent of Americans that get seven to eight hours of sleep feel well-rested every day of the week. This statistic, while extremely worrying, shows us that getting a good night’s sleep might not be enough to carry us throughout the day. As a result, more and more people are searching for other solutions to boost their energy levels
Stop Feeling Tired
While some people hope that liters of coffee and energy drinks will get the job done, others try juggling careers and family responsibilities by delegating the latter to care services. Then, there are those who want to deter from unhealthy and ineffective habits. Instead, they explore the alternatives – some of which are very straightforward to implement into everyday life.
Eating a balanced diet, increasing physical activity, drinking plenty of water, and reducing stress are only a few of the lifestyle changes that may help you deal with fatigue. Below, we take a closer look at the most effective measures you can take to get your energy levels up.
A well-balanced, healthy diet is essential for your energy levels. Many people find themselves feeling tired after a meal because they have eaten too much sugar or fatty foods. While you might think that a candy bar will provide you with somewhat instant energy, the amount of sugar it contains will not be useful for your body. In fact, it will only make you feel worse after a short period of time.
Instead, try to incorporate low-fat foods that are rich in protein into your diet. These include:
- chicken and turkey,
- lean cuts of beef and pork,
- fish and seafood,
- beans and legumes,
- egg whites and egg substitutes (such as tofu),
- protein shakes and bars.
And do not neglect to eat seasonal fruits and vegetables, leafy greens, and healthy fats – these are the basis of a healthy eating plate.
You should never underestimate the power of exercise if you want to deal with fatigue. Although we often associate it with how we look, there is no denying that physical activity improves our overall health and performance.
Apart from the physical benefits, exercise can help boost your energy levels by releasing endorphins into your bloodstream. These hormones are known for improving mood and positively affecting your outlook on life.
So, no matter if you are an avid runner or prefer more passive forms of exercise, you should know that it can help with fatigue. A simple walk around the block or yoga session at home might be enough to bring more energy into your life.
As mentioned above, stress is one of the most common causes of fatigue. Therefore, it is crucial to learn some stress management techniques to cope with stress healthily and reduce its negative impact on your everyday life. Here are some of the methods that can help you get rid of stress:
- Exercise. Get your heart pumping by going for a run or trying out some new yoga poses. Even if you do not have enough time for a full workout session, just ten minutes of intense physical activity can help reduce stress levels.
- Meditation. Practicing meditation is very effective at reducing stress levels over time. Try sitting down in silence every day for several minutes to focus on your breathing. As your mind clears, your body will feel less stressed too. Alternatively, you could try the three-minute breathing space technique. It is elementary and can be done almost anywhere, making it a handy tool in situations when stress strikes in the middle of the day.
- Yoga. Practicing yoga is very good for improving flexibility and strength along with improving mental well-being. Also, regular yoga sessions can help with relieving stress caused by work or everyday life in general.
- Massage. Massage therapy can help reduce anxiety and boost energy levels because of its ability to relax tense muscles and stimulate circulation throughout the body (stressful situations tend to tense up our muscles). You can visit a professional massage therapist or give massage therapy a go at home by purchasing a massage chair or table from a reputable company.
There are countless reasons why you might feel tired most of the time. Some of them are more serious than others, so if you are worried about being tired all the time, it might be best to schedule an appointment with your doctor first.
While fatigue can come and go, you can make certain lifestyle changes to reduce the frequency of feeling lethargic. These include eating a healthy diet, reducing stress, and exercising regularly.
Although you can’t get rid of stress completely, you can learn how to manage it better. As you change your attitude towards life, you will find yourself dealing with stress more effectively and spending less energy on something that eats up your time and effort. So, try out the methods mentioned above, and you will notice a difference in your mood and energy levels within a few days.